Scheduling during COVID
Not unexpectedly, the number of patients with COVID is increasing across the hospital system and with this, the expected number requiring intubations will also increase.
- Each intubation takes from 60-90 minutes if it is simple so, 3 or 4 intubations could easily fill a day or night.
- Right now the number of intubations that we do over a 12-hour period varies between 0 and 5
As of April 6, the Department will begin to provide a second airway team, comprised of an anesthesiologist and a CRNA to be available for intubations.
- The second intubation team will work one 12-hour day shift and one 12-hour in house night shift.
- The 2nd intubation team day shift team will be assigned in Open Tempo as ART2 – Day and be paid 1.0 CSUs plus 2 hours of after 5 p.m. pay.
- The 2nd intubation night team will also be assigned in Open Tempo as ART2 – Night and receive a post-call day. (Monday if the assignment is on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Monday and Tuesday will be post call if the in-house call is taken on both Saturday and Sunday.) Nights will be compensated for in-house call at 2.0 CSUs.
The Department anticipates that a third airway team will be needed one week later, on April 13. The timing of the availability of a third team may change based on clinical need.
Based on our current understanding of inpatient demand, we expect to require these additional intubation teams through Sunday May 17th.
These dates will be adjusted as our clinical needs evolve.
Amanda Pichotta will follow up with a communication as to ART assignments and sign up.
Providers will be asked to participate in the care of patients in areas where they may not be entirely comfortable (the ED, an ICU, on patient floors). Emergency credentialing will enable providers to practice in areas where they currently may not have privileges. If you are not assigned to an OR or any other clinical site (PACU, PAT, ART) or post call, you will be listed as available in the command center and called in to provide care in one of these other sites. The details of when this will begin have not yet been determined but, as soon as they are, you will receive an email.